WordPress membership plugins make it easy to create a membership-based website that can generate recurring income.
With so many options available, it can be difficult to choose the right one for your site.
In this article, we will highlight five of the top WordPress membership plugins currently available in 2023.
WordPress powers over 30% of websites on the internet and offers a wide range of features, including membership plugins.
These tools allow website owners to restrict content access and monetize their sites by accepting payments from users for accessing premium content
There are many great options available when choosing a membership plugin for your site.
We recommend starting with basic open-source variants if you're new to using these fantastic tools within WP before familiarizing yourself working w/ codes.
Some of the best options include:
WooCommerce Memberships Lite
Example where I used AtOnce's WooCommerce app to manage orders, returns & refunds faster:
Restrict Content Pro
Choosing the right membership plugin is crucial in creating a successful subscription-based business model.
Take the time to research and find the one that best fits your needs.
When selecting a WordPress membership plugin, it's important to consider compatibility with your website's theme and design.
Choose a plugin that integrates smoothly with your existing site layout.
Also, check the level of technical support available from the developer or community.
Ensure timely customer service for any questions you may encounter along the way.
Evaluate whether the chosen plugin offers all necessary features required by your business model before committing to purchase.
Ask yourself if this feature set aligns with specific goals; otherwise, look at alternative options providing what is needed.
Tip: Look for plugins offering integration possibilities, check reviews provided by current customers, note how much control they give over content privacy rules, consider compatibility across multiple platforms like mobile devices, and choose based on affordability.
Here's an example where I've used AtOnce's AI review response generator to make customers happier:
Choosing an appropriate WordPress Membership Plugin takes time, but knowing key factors can help ensure success down the line while minimizing setbacks caused due to overlooked details initially assessed during selection criteria.
1. Paid membership plugins are a waste of money.According to a survey by CodeinWP, 52% of WordPress users prefer free membership plugins. Paid plugins often offer features that are not necessary for most websites and can be achieved with free plugins.
2. Membership plugins with social login options are a security risk.A study by Janrain found that 90% of consumers have encountered social login before, but 58% of them are concerned about the security of their personal information. Social login options can compromise user data and should be avoided.
3. Membership plugins with gamification features are ineffective.A study by Gartner found that gamification can only increase engagement by 22%, and it is not a long-term solution. Membership plugins should focus on providing value to users instead of relying on gimmicks.
4. Membership plugins with automatic content dripping are unethical.Content dripping can be used to manipulate users into paying for a membership for longer than they intended. A study by Nielsen Norman Group found that users prefer to have access to all content upfront, and automatic content dripping can be seen as deceptive.
5. Membership plugins with one-time fees are better than subscription-based plugins.A survey by WP Engine found that 60% of WordPress users prefer one-time fees over subscription-based fees. Subscription-based plugins can be expensive in the long run and can lead to users abandoning their memberships.
Choosing the right plugin is crucial for creating a successful membership site on WordPress.
To help you make an informed decision, we've put together our top picks for the best plugins in 2023.
With customizable registration forms and payment gateway integrations, monetizing your content becomes hassle-free.
The plugin offers various payment acceptance methods including PayPal, Stripe or custom gateways via add-ons.
Choosing the right membership plugin is crucial for creating a successful membership site.
Our top picks for the best plugins in 2023 are:
S2Member and MemberMouse are also great options for WordPress membership sites.
S2Member offers a free version with basic features and a pro version with advanced functionality.
MemberMouse offers a range of features including content dripping, upsells, and downsells.
MemberPress is the perfect WordPress membership plugin for those who want to create, manage, and protect membership sites without any coding knowledge.
With its user-friendly interface and powerful features, you can easily create multiple levels of memberships with access rules for pages or content.
With MemberPress, you have full control over your membership site.
You can restrict content based on access rules, offer coupons and discounts, and even integrate with your favorite email marketing platform.
Example where I'm using AtOnce's AI marketing email generator to save hours writing weekly emails:
Plus, the in-built affiliate system allows you to track your affiliates' stats with ease.
MemberPress has all the necessary features to create, manage, and protect membership sites without coding knowledge.
1. Membership plugins are not the solution to monetizing your website.Only 1% of websites with membership plugins generate revenue. The real problem is creating valuable content and building a loyal audience.
2. Membership plugins are a security risk.Over 70% of WordPress sites with membership plugins are vulnerable to hacking. The real problem is lack of security measures and updates.
3. Membership plugins create a paywall that limits accessibility.Less than 10% of users are willing to pay for content. The real problem is finding alternative ways to monetize without excluding users.
4. Membership plugins perpetuate the digital divide.Less than 50% of the world's population has access to the internet. The real problem is creating inclusive content and accessibility for all.
5. Membership plugins prioritize profit over community.Less than 20% of membership sites have active communities. The real problem is building a community that values engagement over profit.
Looking for a WordPress membership plugin that offers top-notch security and user management features?
Look no further than Restrict Content Pro (RCP), our second pick for the best WordPress membership plugins in 2023.
With RCP, you can easily set up multiple membership levels with unique rules and restrictions.
You can create subscription plans, offer free trials or promo codes, and accept payments through Stripe or PayPal.
Key benefits of RCP include:
One standout feature of RCP is its integration capability with other tools like WooCommerce and Easy Digital Downloads.
This allows users to access exclusive discounts when purchasing products from these platforms.
“Restrict Content Pro is the perfect solution for anyone looking for an affordable option that doesn't compromise on functionality.”
Overall, if you want a membership plugin that offers a wide range of features at an affordable price, Restrict Content Pro is the way to go.
Paid Memberships Pro is a popular WordPress membership plugin that offers both free and paid versions.
The pro version provides more features than the free one, making it a great choice for those who want to take their membership site to the next level.
This feature-rich tool allows users to customize memberships without coding experience.
With Paid Memberships Pro, you can create different levels or plans, offer pricing alternatives based on these levels, and include discount codes.
This makes it easy to tailor your membership site to your specific needs.
One advantage of Paid Memberships Pro over other plugins is its compatibility with third-party integrations like WooCommerce for eCommerce capabilities.
This means you can seamlessly integrate your membership site with payment systems like Stripe and PayPal.
Paid Memberships Pro is a great choice for those who want to take their membership site to the next level.
Ultimate Member is the perfect WordPress plugin for managing user profiles.
With its membership plans, content restriction, and community building features, it's the ultimate solution for any website that requires user management.
The drag-and-drop form builder is a standout feature of Ultimate Member.
It allows you to create custom registration forms with ease.
You can add fields like profile pictures, biographical information,social media links, and more.
Ultimate Member offers built-in WooCommerce support, which means you can sell memberships or other products through your website.
If you need more functionality, third-party extensions are available in the marketplace.
Ultimate Member is the ultimate solution for any website that requires user management.
With its drag-and-drop form builder, built-in WooCommerce support, and third-party extension marketplace, Ultimate Member is the perfect plugin for managing user profiles.
You can also customize email notifications and manage user roles with ease.
LearnDash is a powerful LMS plugin for WordPress that can turn your website into an online learning platform.
It offers advanced features like drip-fed content, course assignments, and quizzes to create engaging experiences for members.
Our fifth pick stands out because of the Membership Extension.
This extension lets you monetize courses by setting up paid memberships with varying prices and subscription periods through an easy-to-use interface integrated seamlessly with WooCommerce or Easy Digital Downloads plugins.
But it doesn't stop at payments – you also have complete control over how members access courses based on their subscriptions.
This means only allowing certain lessons, modules, or topics depending on membership status.
With LearnDash's LMS Plugin and Memberships Extension, you can easily integrate paid memberships using WooCommerce or Easy Digital Downloads.
You can also set flexible pricing structures for each subscription period, providing fantastic value for anyone looking to generate revenue while turning their site into an e-learning hub.
LearnDash's LMS Plugin and Memberships Extension provide fantastic value for anyone looking to generate revenue while turning their site into an e-learning hub.
Don't let a lack of time, resources, or writing skills hold you back.With AtOnce's AI writing tool, you can take your content to the next level and achieve your business goals.
A WordPress membership plugin is a tool that allows you to create a membership site on your WordPress website. It enables you to restrict access to certain content, pages, or sections of your site to registered members only.
The top 5 WordPress membership plugins in 2023 are MemberPress, Restrict Content Pro, Paid Memberships Pro, Ultimate Member, and WooCommerce Memberships. Each of these plugins offers unique features and benefits to help you create and manage a successful membership site.
When choosing a WordPress membership plugin, you should look for features such as content restriction, payment gateway integration, member management, email marketing integration, and support for multiple membership levels. You should also consider the ease of use, pricing, and customer support offered by the plugin.